To give Eli the correct type of food, I reference books and research for information online I also attended “the weaning for baby” seminal by Dr. Ang Poon Liat too. Dr. Ang shared lot of useful tips and according to him, between 4-6 months, your baby may tell you he/she is ready for wean. What you use to wean will determine his/her growth, development & health.
It is proof that what you eat is what you are.
I have to make sure Eli have enough of nutrition, eat the right things to be healthier, i must constantly check the macronutrient types: Carbohydrates, Fats & Proteins of food products.
Eli enjoys his 1st apple puree (non allergy fruits) at his 4th month, we tried different vegetables/fruits, it allows us to monitor what food he is allergic to.
How does one find out when a baby is ready for solid food?
Sharing info as following link,
Age: 4 to 6 months
Signs of readiness for solid food
Your baby probably won’t do all these things – they’re just clues to watch for.
- Can hold head up
- Sits well in highchair
- Makes chewing motions
- Shows significant weight gain (birth weight has doubled)
- Shows interest in food
- Can close mouth around a spoon
- Can move food from front to back of mouth
- Can move tongue back and forth, but is losing tendency to push food out with tongue
- Seems hungry after 8 to 10 feedings of breast milk or 40 oz. of formula in a day
- Is teething
What to feed
- Breast milk or formula, PLUS
- Pureed food (like sweet potatoes, squash, apples, bananas, peaches, or pears) or semi-liquid iron-fortified cereal
How much per day
- Begin with about 1 teaspoon pureed food or cereal. Mix cereal with 4 to 5 teaspoons breast milk or formula (it’ll be very runny).
- Increase to 1 tablespoon of pureed food, or 1 tablespoon of cereal mixed with breast milk or formula, twice a day. If giving cereal, gradually thicken the consistency by using less liquid.
I understand that raising a baby is sometimes really stressful & frustrating, but getting things right from the start and giving him the right food is pertinent for all mommies.
I wish to share some of my experiences and food that Eli enjoys. I sample the different puree that I prepare, as i firmly believe that only if I like the taste, then only will Eli like to eat it.
Don’t give yourself unnecessary stress and enjoy every step of the journey with your little bub
*wrote on Sunday, 25 August 2013 – http://elinmama.blogspot.sg/